Mechanical ventilation: start here!
You might say I'm biased, but don't we have the best field in medicine?
The core business of critical care is mechanical ventilation. This page gives you an overview of the various articles I've written on the subject. So consider this a work in progress. The end goal? This should become a basic to advanced course in mechanical ventilation. See the roadmap below for the plans I have. I'm making this public so you can hold me accountable when I've slacked off ;)
Basics of mechanical ventilation
- Physiology of normal breathing vs mechanical ventilation
- Basic terminology in mechanical ventilation
- Driving pressure
- Inspiratory and expiratory time during pressure support
Stay tuned for: terminology, modes, physiology of positive pressure ventilation, PEEP, MV in ARDS, MV in COPD, basic trouble shooting, etc.
Advanced topics in mechanical ventilation
- Patient-ventilatory dyssynchronies
- Safe Pressure Support ventilation: predicted Pmus & Ptp
- Driving pressure during Pressure Support?!
Stay tuned for: mechanical power, expiratory flow limitation, transpulmonary pressures, etc.
Oh, and while you're here, check out VentICalc! A free web app for respiratory mechanics!
Here you'll find the order in which I'm planning on writing the articles. As time goes, more topics will be added to the list. You can request a topic or ask if a topic be moved up on the list by sending me a message.
- Mechanical power
- Expiratory flow limitation
- Transpulmonary pressure
- Recruitment & finding optimal PEEP
- Prone positioning
- Weaning failure strategies
Mandatory disclaimer: nothing on this page should be construed as medical advice, nor is considered substitution for professional medical expertise or treatment. Stuff may be subject to error and change. Use at your own discretion.
Also, if I’m using stuff that belongs to you and you think I shouldn’t, just contact me :)